Friday, July 1, 2011

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

Something new to do. I've been trying to blog more, and this is another avenue for accomplishing that goal in a quick and easy way. :)



In my life this week… Things are crazy as always. Hubby and I are still preparing for our triathlon, but our training has been pushed to the back burner for a few too many days now...we are hitting the gym again tonight though, and with about 3.5 weeks left to go, we need to! I got some flowers, mostly wild, free from craigslist yesterday, which was a huge blessing because I wanted to improve the look of our flower beds and just make the house more pleasant, but it wasn't really in our budget to spend money on flowers. I have innumerable projects that need to be completed, or started and completed, or followed up on right now, so that's a little hectic too, and my house, yet again, needs some attention in the area of cleaning. It's not that I expect to not have to clean, it would just be nice if it was just maintenance work rather than hard labor every time!

In our homeschool this week… We had our summer break from about Memorial day until Monday the 27th...but we are picking up a light work load again for the summer. Coby has started reading, and I don't want him to lose that. Our first beach day with our Seeds of Faith homeschool group on Tuesday had the kids in an excited frenzy too. We have been doing lots of exciting "unschooling" nature learning in the interim of our summer break though. I still need to decide if I want to use a curriculum for Coby this Fall, or if I want to try to make my own...especially since he is already reading.

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share… we start with the topic/subject that the kids are the most resistant to wanting to work on, take frequent breaks, and talk about our short term schedule so they can see the end in sight, and focus more on the task at hand. We also love starfall.com...and no, I'm not an affiliate or anything like it, we just like it. :)

I am inspired by...this week...Anne of Green Gables...she reminds me to look at the world in a way that appreciates all the amazing and wonderful things that God has blessed us with.

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…We are spending the fourth with one of my dearest, best-est (yes I realize that's improper English!) friends, who also happens to be my cousin, and her husband and 5 children. We will be heading out on the 1st to stay at there house for the weekend. It's always interesting and fun with 9 kids in tow! lol!

My favorite thing this week was…Caitlyn telling me "Mama! You scared me out the crap!" when I dropped a jar of baby food. Also, when Coby told Jason and I at the store that we needed to get new eggs because ours were "old" because the shells are brown! (Hubby got brown eggs from a co-worker.)

What’s working/not working for us…we sometimes fluctuate between having a schedule and not, and not having a schedule, is not helping anyone. Also, boring workbooks are not working for getting Coby to practice his writing.

Questions/thoughts I have…Will God give us provision to be able to register for our triathlon...will Jason stop being finnicky about homeschooling and get back on the supportive side of the fence...will we ever get our dream farm...will things start coming together in this next month like they are expected to...

Things I’m working on…wow...way.to.much. I need to embellish a shirt for a trade and finish a hair bow...finish some alterations, crochet a toddler dress, crochet a pair of mittens, make something for a charity auction, make hair bows and burp cloths to stock my shop, make Lily's burp cloth, finish my curtains, finish the kids fourth of July outfits, finish planning/planting the flower beds, mend hubby's jeans' pocket, mend my apron, crochet a baby bonnet and booties, knit a bag, crochet a doily for my mother-in-law, finish hanging pictures and contact my aunt about the custom crocheted wall hanging she wants.

I’m reading…Anne of Green Gables, the bible, and Biblical Motherhood.

I’m cooking…cupcakes and frosting from scratch, yummy healthier meals, and alfredo pizza for dinner tonight!

I’m grateful for…everything. My children...the fact that God provided us with this much needed house in a nice location that fits our budget...our health...our pets...our physical fitness...our stamina...our determination...my many gifts/talents.

I’m praying for…healing for Jason's maternal grandmother...provision for us for a new home with the acreage we are looking for...provision for our finances in general...provision for registering for the triathlon we'd like to do...the health of family members that are in poor health...

A photo, video, link, or quote to share… He said to them: "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority." Acts 1:7

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I love doing a weekly meme. This one is nice! I may incorporate some of that into mine. I based mine off the Simple Woman's Daybook, which you might also like. (google it)

Your kids are young - my advice for homeschooling at this age is to just enjoy and encourage their love of learning. Workbooks can be used if they like them, but better are real books and nature study and play. And it sounds like you have a handle on that!